Thursday, August 30, 2012

Dehydrating Figs

My dried Figs... delicious!
  
I recently wrote about how our fig tree that is just pumping out the figs. I can fill up a plastic grocery bag with ripe figs every two or three days. That means a lot of figs. I have already shared my recipe for Pineapple, Port, & Fig Sauce. Today, I'll just share some photos of the dehydration process.
 
We have an Excaliber dehydrator, and I highly recommend it. This dehydrator is simple to use, easy to clean, comes in many sizes, and the company has great service and warranties, but it is not incredibly cheap. If you are not ready to buy a dehydrator, you can use your oven or even use your car (see this article on dehydrating in your car).
 
My biggest advice for food preservation, is to just get in there and try it. For more information on dehydrating, I recommend Dehydrate 2 Store, and as a great resource for dehydration tips and tools. She does use and promote the Excaliber, but she provides a goldmind of free information.
  
I started out with lots of figs and quickly washed then is some fresh water.
  
The figs were quartered and laid on the drying trays, dried for about 24 hrs, and that was it.
 

3 comments:

  1. Great post....do you have a secret to determining when the figs are perfectly ripe??? I'm growing this same variety this year and I find it's hard to tell when they are ready to harvest. Thx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Great way to eat these is to warm up the dried figs on a frying pan (dry). and then squeeze a walnut into the fig and dip it in tahini. it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try not to utilize a microwave stove to dry out nourishment. The most ideal approach to get dried out is with a nourishment dehydrator. There are numerous sorts of dehydrators accessible in the market for home utilization. Here you can read assist about picking a nourishment dehydrator to use at home.www.dehydratortips.com/nesco-fd-75a/

    ReplyDelete